Hello and welcome to the blog! We are Cheyenne and Geoff Schultz and are wedding photographers in Charlotte, North Carolina. If you'd like to contact us about our photography, please e-mail me at cheyenne@lovetheschultzes.com with a subject line "The Schultzes". You can also check out our website at http://www.lovetheschultzes.com

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Antiqued!

Well, folks - we're off to a good start. Today I completed my "get to the gym three times each week" goal AND my "blog twice weekly about non-shoot stuff" (per this post). Feels good to accomplish something. Although, I have to be honest, I BARELY made it to the gym today....I swear, every time I know I should be going I come up with some excuse of why I can't...."I have WAY to much editing to do today"....."If I go to the gym, I'll have to take another shower and waste time getting ready"...."ehhh....I'll go tomorrow" (which turns into never).

Anyway, also on my list for the month is to choose paint colors for the house. Since we think we finally have our dining room the way we want it, I figure that's a good place to start.

Last Friday afternoon Geoff and I found ourselves enjoying a little "antiquing". I never really knew I liked to antique (can that be a verb?) until Geoff and I started popping into a few shops here and there. Well, last week we struck gold in a couple little shops in Plaza Midwood ...and then....after many friends telling us about it...we visited The Sleepy Poet ....WHICH....WAS.....AMAZING (and really super affordable). We found quite a few pieces that we fell totally in love with and had to pick up.

First, is this set we decided to make into a cabinet for our dishes. LOVE. (And, I insisted on getting the teapot...because it's cute).





We also found this "one-of-a-kind, unusual china cabinet/coat rack" (that's what it was labeled as anyway)....it has old forks and spoons screwed into the wood.....uhhhh.....yes, we'll take that one please.



And here's our cabinet and table that we already had - I've got to say....I'm loving the contrast of modern vs. antique. Yes, very much. :)





So, now that you've seen the dining room - thoughts on a color choice????

Happy Thursday. :)

21 comments:

Sarah said...

sky blue, but what do i know? I suck at decorating :)

Katherine B. said...

IMO, a nice mocha color.

Alex said...

I think a really light shade of green would look nice! Especially if you keep the cabinets dark brown

Jamie LeAnne Hager Goodall said...

I agree, a nice sage green would be beautiful.

Alyse Woodward Events said...

In the words of Rachel Zoe... I die for that cabinet you are using for the dishes. Gorg. Since the dining room is so close to the office room which is green, I would say a more earthy green color or something in the brown family. Can't wait to see the finished product!

ClairKnox said...

I think some natural color close to what it is already. I like how the paint is chipping away... the antique look. Maybe just clean with a wet cloth... whalla!????
(I suck at designing though!)

Reida said...

I would go warm earthtones. I love fall colors in a dining room and kitchen because it's so inviting and usually it's cold out when you entertain inside. It just gives it a cozy feeling...like a pumpkin spice latte on a crisp fall day. Ok I'm heading out to Starbucks now :)

Candice {The Beautiful Mess} said...

well...coming from someone that LOVES BOLD color....i say something like a soft lemon color.... or a brick red....but that's just me....

Erin said...

LOVE the look :-)
Check out Lowe's...Ironwood and Frappe are AMAZING colors. We just did our living room in Frappe.
Ironwood is a Signature Color and I received SO many compliments on it...e-mail me, I can send you pics., or better yet, I can mail you swatches! haha. I LOVE decorating!!! ecn107 at gmail dot com
Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Allison said...

Wow I love your choices and you must not have kids! :) Good luck with the paint choices, I always struggle with that. Try http://www.restorationhardware.com, I love their stuff and paint.

nancy Ray said...

LOOVVEEEE these.
i'm pretty sure we have the same taste. in most everything. (even earrings!) :)

Stephanie Lynn Photography said...

Absolutely love the door in the corner, my fav. And the antiqued knobs on the cabinet, perfect. Great choices! I just found some really old windows that I am about to use somewhere also. I love using old stuff with new modern stuff.

Lauren Kaczmarski said...

Love it, this is so YOU! I like the sage earthy green idea. You must check out Farrow & Ball paint. It is from England and they have the most yummy milky colors ever..they literally change color in different light/time of day. They are very pricey, so I recommend getting a sample of it and having another paint store match it...

Elizabeth Whisennant said...

What about a mustard yellow? It would be a good contrast against the green. Very hip color as well- would give an interesting contrast to the antiques.

Maryann said...

i can't believe you went antiquing w/ out me!!!

Olde Tyme Marketplace said...

I feel so honored that you have chosen some of my pieces to use in your home!!! They look A~Mazing! I am not kidding....the photos are killer! It was so great to meet you today. Thanks for coming out to the shop in Marshville!!
Smiles,
Beth
P.S. I am going to do a blog post on you so go take a peek!! :0)

The Green Pea said...

Oh! very nice. I like it all. I think I have a cupboard like the first picture and the same color. Is is a old light green? If it is I, I do not see green walls with it. Maybe a soft butter cream. You did well with your pieces and I think you will do well with your wall color choice. It is hard for me to see the true color of that first cubby. Sandi

Wanda S. Horton - Interior Designer said...

Beth Swanson shared her good fortune of having you visit her shop! I need to get back down to see her, as she is a great resource for clients, but I end up keeping most of my treasurers! Do you ever do interiors photography? I love your aesthetic and I am actually looking for someone to photograph some of my design work. If you go back to my profile, you can find my contact information. Lovely work! - Wanda Horton

Lauren Kinsey said...

You have amazingly cool style and I love antiques! These are such a cool find!! I think the Mocha brown or a chocolate brown (mm... now I want some chocolate cake ;)) would be beautiful in there!

Unknown said...

simply beautiful...mocha with some sage green graphic

Tori said...

Lime Green...now that would be totally unexpected and super hott!!!